Can You Connect Multiple TVs to One Antenna?

Antennas graphic

The average American household has between 2 and 3 TV sets. So, it’s not surprising that one of the most common questions I get asked is whether or not it’s possible to connect multiple TVs to a single antenna. Yes, you can connect your antenna to more than one TV. It’s pretty simple, and I’m going to show you exactly how to do it.

What You’ll Need

How to Connect Multiple TVs to One Antenna

Connecting your HD antenna to multiple TVs is simple and requires only a few basic steps.

1. Mount your antenna in an optimal location.

mohu windowEnter your address in the app at AntennaWeb.org to see where the broadcast towers are in your area. If you are using a flat antenna, it’s best to mount it on an outward facing wall near a window. You may want to test out different positions on your wall to see where you get the best reception. I like to use adhesive tape on the antenna to temporarily try it in different positions, running a channel scan each time to see where I get the most channels at the best quality.

2. Connect the antenna to the RF splitter.

RF splitterYou’ll use a basic coaxial cable to run from your antenna into the single input port. This port is typically by itself on one side of the RF splitter.

ESPN. No Cable. No Strings Attached. Try it Today. Sling TV.

3. Connect the RF splitter to the desired TV sets.

coax jackUsing the multiple output ports on the RF splitter, you will run a coaxial cable out to the different TV sets in your home. It’s likely that at least one of the TVs will be far away from the splitter, so you may need to use a long coaxial cable, 50 feet or longer depending on your needs.

4. Secure the coaxial cables.

cord channelYou don’t want loose cables running all across your house, creating a tripping hazard and just looking plain ugly. So, make sure you secure the cables to the walls, baseboards, or floor using electrical tape, a cord channel, or other protective devices.

5. Check your TVs to verify a good connection.

mohu TVTurn on each TV set to make sure you have a clear picture on each. If the cable run is too long or the antenna is too weak or not mounted optimally, the signal quality could decrease and affect the picture. If this is the case, you may need to use an amplifier to boost the signal.

That’s all there is to it! Your antenna is now hooked up to multiple TVs, allowing you to enjoy free HD over-the-air programming on all of your televisions.

Need Some Help Installing Your Antenna?

The Mohu Leaf antenna I recommend is incredibly simple to install, but I realize not everyone will have the time, ability, or interest to install their own antenna. In such cases, I recommend using a service like Angie’s List or TaskRabbit to find a top rated handyman in your area that can install your TV antenna properly. I’ve personally used both services multiple times, and have had very positive results with them. Each service lets you easily see real, uncensored reviews for various contractors in your area, so you can choose the professional that’s best for the job.

Have a question for me? Leave a comment below!

Comments

comments

Eric Brantner

Eric Brantner

Eric Brantner is a contributing editor for CutCableToday.
Eric Brantner

23 Comments on "Can You Connect Multiple TVs to One Antenna?"

1. Robert Grabau | May 12, 2015 at 8:07 am |

I have 4 TV’s will this work for that many TV’s and I have Comcast cables connected to all the sets. Can I use this procedure to connect using the existing Comcast cables..Thank you

2. Shirley Favela | June 11, 2015 at 2:37 pm |

Our coaxial cables were installed when we built our home. We used Time Warner Cable until recently. We still receive some channels through TWC but want to start using our HDTV over the air antenna. When we disconnect the cable and connect the antenna coaxial cable we don’t get any stations. What is the problem?

• Hi Shirley,

Try going to TVFool.com and using their Signal Locator tool. This will give you a better idea of which direction the broadcast towers are located and how far away. With this info, you should be able to determine if your antenna is strong enough and where the best location in your home is to install it.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please shoot me an email via the contact form. Thanks!

3. Shirley Solomon Favela | June 11, 2015 at 5:23 pm |

We have an omnidirectional HDTV antenna. I get fantastic reception if I run the coaxial directly to one of the televisions but don’t get a thing if I connect it (and disconnect the TWC cable feed) to the the 4 way splitter located in the box Time Warner Cable had installed. I’ve tried a couple of splitters thinking it may have been defective. It didn’t make a difference. Are there special splitters for HDTV antenna usage?

• Shirley, the HDTV antennas are honestly pretty much the same as older model antennas. So you shouldn’t need special equipment. So are you trying to connect to the Time Warner box? Have you tried completely disconnecting Time Warner’s equipment from everything?

4. @Shirley Are you trying to connect your HDTV to the exact same coaxial port that you used for your TWC service?
    If so, do you have your antenna hooked up to that same port?
    If you are plugging into the same port that TWC used you do not have a “live” signal through that anymore once TWC disconnected your service and would need to hook up your antenna.

5. I currently have directv and was wondering if I can use the same cables connected to the dish and connect them to an antenna instead? That way I already have cables running to 2 tvs. Will this work??

6. Maria Reisner | July 15, 2015 at 10:05 am |

Hooked up my Mohu Leaf 50 yesterday and it’s working great! Our condo is prewired for cable, so I put the antenna in the window near the cable input, hooked it up and then hooked each TV to the cable outlet. Used a splitter between tvs that are about 8 feet apart. In all, hooked up 3 tvs on 2 floors – all have great reception! It might help to remind people that they have to run the channel search program for each TV. Running it on one TV won’t transfer it to the others. Sling TV was ordered, the half price Roku 3 is on the way and all that’s left to do is order a couple streaming sticks for the other 2 tvs. On the way!

7. By following the directions in this post, you can hook up one antenna to two TVs to watch different programming.

8. Jane Cotton | August 6, 2015 at 7:13 am |

I have 5 TV’s on the 1st level(Including 1 Smart TV) and 1 in the lower level. I now have TWC and can’t afford the bundle any longer at $145 per month.I now have concerns on Internet connections & telephone costs.I intend to follow your suggestions but I am little overwhelmed at this point but I’m up for this challenge. Any help would be helpful. Thanks

9. I just got through online chatting with a service person at MicroCenter. I too am looking to cut the cable cords and asked this very question “Can I hookup my 3 television sets to 1 digital antenna”? After asking me to wait while the service person did some checking, he returned 5 minutes later with the answer “NO”. He said that 3 TVs would dilute the signal. I kind of got the feeling that he didn’t know what he was talking about. Then I found this site. Thank you.

10. Hey Brian,

So this is a bit tricky. First of all, it depends on how strong your signal is. If you get a really strong signal, you may not have to worry much with amplification. Again, it’s difficult to tell without knowing your specific situation.

You might also look into getting a 4-tuner Tablo DVR. This will allow you stream to up to 4 TVs at once — you’ll just need a streaming player like a Roku 3 on each TV. The ideal situation would probably be a marriage of both solutions.

However, you could just go ahead and get a good antenna, plug it in, and see what happens. Then go from there. Feel free to email me at chris (at) cutcabletoday dot com to talk about this in more depth/update me on what you decide.

11. I have a home theater with a projection TV. Is it possible to connect an antenna? Would I connect it to the receiver?

12. Lisa Siedlarz | February 26, 2016 at 11:21 am |

I have 4 TVs on 2 different floors. Does it make sense to have 4 different antennas? Or 1 antenna for each floor?

13. First question: are you good with just having antenna TV? Or are you going to want to use different streaming services on those TVs as well?

14. are there any effects for doing this?

15. I, too am cutting cable and clearly understand your instructions for connecting to my attic-installed antenna. However, I am concerned about my internet connection which I get through the cable company. If I disconnect my cable wiring, do I still have their internet access?

16. I have a wa-2608, 150-mile ViewTV ant from Amazon ($33) W/360 degree rotation and control box and wireless remote W/2 tvs connected. When on Antenna TV simultaneously playing both tvs w/both remotes powered the red led lights on either in the “off” position if one or the other Is then turned off, otherwise good strong reception Cuz cont. boxes hav built-in signal amplifier.you can use one cont. ifu like.The following link helps point ur antenna, give stations direction And dB signal strength According to ur address and zip code and city and state: (http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/dtvmaps/)
    The anomaly I face is a minor non-inconvenience at worst. Hope this helps someone. I think all that design of antennas look alike and made by same Chinese concern when do search on Alibaba.com; so, be SURE the one u buy specifies “150” mile range, why waste Same price on the 20 miler for less stations, and be sure it says “builtin signal amplifier.” they ALL look alike from 20 miler to 150 miler!

Comments are closed.