Cable TV used to be an essential service for baseball fans. Thankfully, that’s no longer the case. It is now possible to watch MLB online, using a variety of streaming services and over-the-air methods. You can read all about watching MLB online in our full guide. For now, let’s take a look at one of the best options for watching baseball online, MLB.TV.
Read on for our full MLB.TV review.
What is MLB.TV?
MLB.TV is an online streaming service brought to you by the MLB itself. You can use it to watch live out-of-market games and game replays on your mobile devices, your computer, or on your TV via a streaming device. You don’t need cable or any other subscription to use MLB.TV – you’ll just need a good internet connection and a subscription to the MLB streaming service.
What Are the Main MLB.TV Features?
MLB.TV offers a variety of features to keep baseball fans happy throughout the season. Here are the main features:
- Watch all out-of-market regular season MLB games live online
- Watch replays of all regular season MLB games on-demand, starting 90 minutes after the live broadcast
- Watch replays of select postseason MLB games on-demand, starting 90 minutes after the live broadcast
- Watch on a huge variety of compatible devices
- Enjoy streaming from anywhere with an internet connection
- Access in-game live stats and highlights
- Live game DVR control (pause, rewind, fast forward)
What Games Can You Watch with MLB.TV?
MLB.TV gives you access to most MLB games, but it’s important to understand that local games are blacked out.
With MLB.TV, subscribers can watch ALL out-of-market regular season games live, and ALL regular season games on-demand starting 90 minutes after they air. They can also enjoy on-demand replays of select postseason games.
As for live streaming, the important bit to take note of is the “out-of-market” qualification. What does out-of-market mean, exactly? It means all games that are not offered on live TV in your area will be available for live streaming using MLB.TV, but games that are showing on TV in your area will only be available for on-demand streaming. You can check out the MLB blackout map to determine which teams will be blacked out in your area. You can also search blacked out teams based on your ZIP code.
So, if you live near your favorite team, and their games show on TV channels in your local area, you won’t be able to watch their games live with MLB.TV. Because of that, this service is best for those who do not live near their favorite teams.
What Devices Can You Use MLB.TV On?
MLB.TV is compatible with a huge variety of devices. In fact, more than 400 different devices are compatible with the service, including:
- iOS devices like iPhone, iPad, etc.
- Android phones and tablets
- Streaming players like Roku, Apple TV, Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, etc.
- DVR’s like Tivo, Samsung, LG and Panasonic DVR’s
- Gaming consoles like PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One
- Computers (PC and Mac)
How Much Does MLB.TV Cost?
Especially if your main goal of getting MLB.TV is to save money over cable, you’re probably wondering how much MLB.TV costs.
- For the full season, MLB.TV will run you $129.99 per year.
- For a month-to-month subscription, you’ll pay $24.99 a month.
- For the off season, you can pay $24.99 to access full game archives of the past season, plus live streaming of select spring training games of the next season.
The MLB will often lower the price of a full-season subscription as the season progresses. So, if you sign up half way through the season, you can expect to pay less than full price.
Click here to learn more about current MLB.TV pricing.
Is There a MLB.TV Free Trial Available?
Generally, MLB.TV does not offer a free trial. Occasionally, the league will run a limited-time promotion. For instance, in the 2015 season there was a free 2-day trial at the very beginning of the season, but it was only available for a limited time. It’s possible that there will be another free trial at the beginning of the 2016 season. We will keep you updated as we learn more.
Is There an International Version of MLB.TV Available?
Yes, international customers from many countries can subscribe to MLB.TV. In fact, the service is actually a bit better for international fans than it is for domestic fans. Subscribers from the US and Canada are subject to local blackouts, but international subscribers from other countries are not. That means international fans can watch ALL regular season games LIVE, blackout-free!
Is MLB.TV the Best Way to Watch Baseball Online?
Depending on where you live, this service may or may not be the best option for you. If you live outside of your favorite teams’ local broadcasting area, MLB.TV is likely the easiest and best way to follow all your favorite teams throughout the season. There’s no other service that offers this amount of live and on-demand baseball content, so if you’re a fan of America’s Pastime, MLB.TV could be great for you. Learn more about how to watch MLB online in our full guide.
Where Do I Sign Up?
Convinced MLB.TV is worth a try? Click here to sign up today!
Latest posts by Austin Meadows (see all)
- Watch ELEAGUE Online: Live Stream, Full Episodes, Free Streaming and More - October 17, 2016
- Watch Brooklyn Nine-Nine Online: Live Stream, Full Episodes, Free Episodes and More - September 13, 2016
- Watch Empire Online: Live Stream, Full Episodes, Free Episodes and More - September 13, 2016